The rising green light of the Hawthorn plant, which rested — silently asleep — during winter, softly announces the transition between winter and spring at Rancho La Paz, Sanandi’s farm.
It is always the ideal season to ease the expulsion of harmful substances from our bodies and to strengthen our Immune System.
To restore health or strength we need to first eliminate what is in excess and toxic; that which interferes with our integrity and prevents us from healing.
To detoxify means to unfold, breakdown, and eliminate old toxins that have been accumulating over time. This allows the body to build and restore its cells. This allows our immune system to benefit and show its true potential since it will not have to waste energy trying to constantly fight against foreign or rare substances.
Once identified the importance of detoxifying it is necessary to understand the appropriate and effective methods for achieving this purification safely.
Ayurveda (Ayus: Life & Veda: Knowledge) is an art of healing that has prevailed for more than 5,000 years. In this ancestral method, we can find the most valuable advice on how to undertake a systemic and profound purification of our bodies. Unfortunately, modern medicine does not take into account this valuable key for preventing and healing chronic diseases.
According to Ayurveda, the correct way to allow the expulsion of toxins is through a fast. Fast, according to Oriental medicine refers to “…any other action that increases the quality of lightness in our body”. Lightness denotes fire, combustion and increasing our metabolism. This allows us to “burn-dissolve”, which eliminates all the toxins with the help of natural substances that have proved helpful for thousands of years.
Learn how you can complete a full detoxification through this month-long program.
Honey with Herbs – Digestive to boost this preparation
Before you start a detox:
- Avoid dairy products for 15 days (to help detoxification of mucous membranes)
- Avoid refined sugars for one month (to help detoxification of intestinal fungi and candida)
- Avoid fried foods and animal products (in order to aid in the detoxification of the liver and gallbladder)
- Do not consume soy milk or any soy product
- Avoid all processed foods
- Avoid eggs
- Avoid drinks containing sugars
- Consume organic foods
- Drink a large glass of lukewarm water with half a lime first thing in the morning and after each meal (avoid doing it if you have an acidity condition)
- Drink one or two glasses of carrot and apple juice, with a small piece of ginger
- Take two fruit dishes daily
- Consume barley soup
- Consume quinoa, amaranth, wild rice, oats, and buckwheat
- Consume beans and lentils (soaked and well-cooked)
- Consume herring or sardine in olive oil (if you are not following a Vegan diet)
- Consume something sweet but light for dinner such as a fruit
Nutrition and the quality of the foods that we eat directly impact our well-being. It is important to make healthy food choices in order to regain and/or maintain our good health.
How to Activate Your Immune System
To help you activate and maintain a healthy immune response, consider the following two steps:
- Start a detox. All of your cells will live stronger and longer if you are able to drain toxins from the extracellular matrix before they invade the interior of your cells.
- Activate the immune system correctly so that it may rapidly respond to toxic substances and maintain acceptable inflammation levels.
Step 1: Detox (duration: 2-6 weeks; ideally 35 days or 5 weeks)
First, evaluate your levels of toxicity by checking if you have any of the following conditions:
- White tongue
- Bad breath
- Low luminosity in your eyes (the sclera – or white part of your eye – appears yellowish and/or brownish)
- Intestinal inflammation
- Bad smell in both your urine and bowel movement
- Overall weakness
- Frequent infections
- Lack of mental clarity
- Disconnection from your spiritual practice or purpose
So what can you do to help detox your body?
First things first! Clean up your GI tract.
Most of our immune cells actively adhere to our intestinal membranes, our first barrier of immunity. In order to liberate these stressed cells, we need to clean our diet!
During the detox stage, avoid consuming the following:
- Processed foods
- Refined sugars
- Suspend dairy products
- Coffee & alcohol
- Wheat products
- Reduce raw foods, especially if you have a thin constitution and have problems regulating your body temperature (warmth) in your body
- Fried foods
How can you support the cleansing process?
During the detox stage, consume the following:
- Start your morning with warm water and lemon juice; add one teaspoon of Honey with Herbs – Digestive to boost this preparation.
- Eat organic boiled oats with ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, berries, and a little bit of butter or, more preferably, ghee.
- Eat plenty of fruits, especially organic berries.
- Eat concentrated vegetable soups with barley (if you are not a vegetarian, you may use organic chicken or beef broth).
- Try Kitchari with yellow split mung beans (called Mung Daal – it is a very effective ancient Ayurvedic cleansing dish) and add boiled vegetables. While cooking, add a little ginger, cumin, and cilantro seeds.
- Eat fruits at midday or carrots with lemon (chew each bite very well).
- Try to fast in the evening. If you have a very strong and/or accelerated metabolism and have hypoglycemic tendencies, have a small portion of Kitchari or vegetable soup.
- It is best is to leave your stomach empty during the night (for 10-12 hours, called a micro-fast).
- Drink the following organic juice once or twice a day: apple, carrot, ginger, celery, parsley, and lemon.
During the detox stage, support your efforts by doing the following:
- Take 1-2 capsules of organic Triphala with warm water before going to bed. This is a very powerful herb compound that should accompany all detox programs.
- Take one tablespoon of Herbal Extract – Bitter Elixir Detox before breakfast and lunch, which will help you digest and eliminate toxins by helping you activate your GI enzymes, reduce inflammation and achieve an adequate, balanced microbiota.
- Drink plenty of pure water (not from plastic bottles). Best to drink it warm, not ice cold.
- Take 20 drops of Herbal Extract – Hepa Vital after meals, which helps you detox and protects your liver, a vital energy organ.
- Take a probiotic on an empty stomach.
- Sweat for 20 minutes every day, exercise and if possible, have a steam bath.
- Attempt to maintain a period of silence and stillness which are two ways to deepen your detox!
- Make sure you have plenty of deep sleep. If you need help achieving a deep, restful sleep at night, having a cup of Loose Leaf Tea – Sooting Sleep before bedtime may help. You may also have a teaspoon of Honey with Herbs – Regenerating Rest at bedtime (do not dilute the honey in liquids warmer than room temperature since this would destroy the honey’s properties; consider consuming it directly from the teaspoon as well).
Step 2: Activate the immune system (6-8 weeks)
After completing Step 1, you should proceed as follows:
- Slowly return to your normal diet and re-introduce raw foods.
- Avoid all processed, devitalized foods.
- Try to consume local and organic products.
- Maintain a very low consumption of sugar, alcohol, dairy and wheat.
- Avoid late dinners or, if you must have one, avoid animal protein and fats.
- Start your morning by having warm water and lime juice on an empty stomach.
- Take 20-30 drops of Herbal Extract – Defense in hot water with lemon or lime juice after meals, which will help you activate and maintain your immune system, keeping it alert and efficient.
- Continue taking a probiotic for 6 weeks.
In addition, you may protect your cell membranes with omega 3 fatty acids. Take one tablespoon of organic cold-pressed flax seed oil in carrot juice, or, omega 3 oil supplements from sustainable sources (wild salmon or krill is preferred).
Remember: Check your tongue and eyes in the morning. You can recognize trouble before sickness occurs!
Have you performed a detox before? Which benefits did you immediately notice?